Monday, November 17, 2008


We just finished up our homestay with our family. They were so great and I'm really going to miss them, even though they live close to us. When we left, Assaita sat us down and told us how much she enjoyed us staying with them and how we are now part of their family and welcome over there any time. She said we were just like daughters to them. The amazing part is she said it in Bambera and I understood!!! Not every word, but enough to put it all together! She translated it after and it was what I had thought she would say. Granted, it was kind of expected that she would say something like that, so I wasn't completely guessing, but, I still was excited. The African people are so gracious. Most Americans have an idea that houseguests for 2 1/2 weeks is too long and you're ready for them to leave, but they said it wasn't long enough!
Our last day there, their daughter Zainab took us shopping at the "Big Market." It was huge. Well, people told us a thousand times to watch our purses because there are pickpockets, so, I was guarding my purse with my life. These men started pointing to this old man and telling me something. I looked up at him and he was holding my phone! (it's a pink razor, and I haven't seen many africans, much less men, with one). I panicked and started yelling at him to give it back and hollering that it was mine and tried to grab it from him. Everyone around was looking at me oddly and Zainab came up to me and told me that it wasn't mine. I looked in my purse and there was my phone. I pulled out my phone to explain to the man my mistake and everyone started laughing really hard at the stupid white girl. I tried to play it off by casually walking away but when I casually walked back they were still laughing. A man told me (in English, while laughing hysterically) that I was "crazy" why did I think that many had taken my phone? It was mortifying. But other that that, I had fun and we're going back again today. Hopefully no one will recognize me.
Tomorrow we leave to our to the village for a week, so that should be a lot of fun.

No comments: