Friday, November 7, 2008

Coming Along


Please don't think this means I support Obama, this is what Africa thinks. I took this picture at a nearby bakery, the day of the election, before he even won. If he wants to fun for president here, he could definitely win. Wednesday morning I woke up and the woman I am staying with ran up to me and started spinning me around and screaming, "We did it, We did it!!" Now when we go out people stop us and ask if we're Americans and say, "Barack Obama!" It's embarrassing how much more they know about U.S. politics than I do. One man even stopped and showed us a picture of Obama and told us Bush needed to leave to Obama could start. It's ridiculous.

Milestone: I had my first conversation in Bambera. It went like this.
Me- Good Afternoon
Man-Yes, how are you?
Me-Quite well (I found out that's what I've been saying)
-Your people?
-Quite well
-What's your name?
-Lala Diop (my African name given to me by my African family)
-Oh, Senagelise?
-Yes, what's your name?
-Something Diop
-Diop?
-Yes! (he nods his head excitedly)
-You are my older brother! (or older cousin, it just means older male relative)
I laugh at my joke (it's the closest thing I can make to a joke in this language), he laughs-probably at my bad Bambera. Wanting to end the conversation before he sees how little Bambera I really know, I say, See ya! He says, greet your people! I realize it's not hte most impressive conversaion, and that it probably can't really count for a conversation, but considering I didn't speak a word of Bambera one month ago, I'm happy.

African meals are very different from American meals. They have one dish, usualy rice and sauce, and everyone eats out of the same bowl. It sounds gross, but it's not because you only eat what's in front of you. It's very rude to reach into someont else's part of the bowl. They also eat with their right hand. So, in order to be more like them, I have started to eat with my right hand too. You're probably thinking, what could be easier than eating with your hands? Everything. Everything could be easier. Except learning Bambera. They take the food and ball it up and stick it in their mouths. I try, it falls all over me. If I lean my hear back and dump it in my mouth, they laugh at me (and they usually don't laugh at what I do, so this must look really ridiculous. Clearly that's not how you're supposed to do it.

Everything here is going well. We are staying with the greatest family, they are teachinbg us to much about language and culture. They have been so welcoming and really make us feel like we are part of their family.

Please continue to pray that I will learn the language and understand the culture. Pray also for the lost here, it's overwhelming to see how many people have no idea about the gospel. Also, pray for more workers to be sent here, there are so many lost peopel here and so few people to tell them.

Thanks for your prayers, miss all of ya'll!



No comments: